Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hammer Time

I don't know if all women love tools, but I frigging love tools. I especially love tools that make big noises - power drills, band saws, circular  saws, impact wrenches. I really love the sound of an impact wrench. My weird love of power tool sounds probably comes from a childhood hanging around the school bus garage where my stepdad was the foreman mechanic.

I don't actually have any power tools. Besides not having anywhere to store them, I also don't actually do enough "handy things" to warrant putting that kind of money into power tools. Although, I am seriously considering throwing down the money for a table saw this year because I can't find one I can borrow on any long term use.(That really means no one has magically shown up at my house and given me a table saw.)

While we can't all fritter away our money on neato saws and air wrenches, there are a few tools that every woman needs. I say women because I'm assuming I'm talking to women and we need our own tools. Sure, you could borrow someone else's tools, but I'm a firm believer in a woman having her own "things." So here is a list of basic tools I believe everyone should have.

  • Phillips head screwdriver
    Basic screws require either a Phillips head or a flat head screwdriver. I'm sure everyone has needed a screwdriver at some point - to wrangle a goddamned toy out of the packaging, replace batteries, tighten pot handles, or tighten the arms on eyeglasses. A Phillips head in small, medium and large can always come in handy.



  • flat head screwdriver - Seriously, a butter knife is only going to get you so far.




  • hammer - Maybe you want to hammer a nail or hammer that stupid damned toy that won't come out of the packaging.
  • tape measure - Pretty self explanatory.
  • pliers  - When I pulled the carpet out of my house, I found out that it was stapled to the floor. I guess that's what I get for buying a house one step away from being put together with duct tape, but you know, whatever. The pliers came in handy when I had to pull them out of the OSB board I call subflooring. They can be used for other things, I just can't remember what right at the moment.
  • wrench - It's just good to have some wrenches. My car wouldn't crank on Christmas morning for some ungodly reason. It's probably the same reason behind my dryer belt breaking at 6 AM on Christmas morning. Anyway, it turns out my battery cables were loose, probably from driving down some damned hard core muddy driveways. A couple of turns with a wrench and I was in the road again.
  • level - Hanging a picture or putting up a wall shelf works much better if check to see if it's actually level. Unless, of course, you're going for some abstract lopsided look.

Other things I keep on hand:
  1. hacksaw - I have, from time to time, repaired my own water pipes. I need the hacksaw to cut out the leaking pipe and cut the new pipe to size. (Though a hacksaw does not work for cutting down a small dead tree, just to let you know.)
  2. drill - sometimes you just need to drill a hole somewhere.
  3. hex keys - necessary for changing brakes and for certain other kind of screw doohickeys
  4. socket wrenches - changing brakes and other car mechanicy stuff.
If you're interested in buying a set of basic tools for yourself, this looks like a pretty decent set up.  Task Force is a fairly cheap brand, but should be sufficient for basic household repairs. Normal people just don't need Craftsman or Snap-On.
    I had a nice little assortment at one point, but my father and the boys' father kept "borrowing" them and never fucking returned them. So if I were you and there are men living in your house, I thoroughly recommend you take time to paint all your tools with a nice glossy pink paint and maybe spray a little glitter to just be safe. I bet that would give them a moment to assess whether they really want to run off with your damned tools.

    4 comments:

    amulbunny's random thoughts said...

    My mom loved power tools. I learned more about band saws and rippers from her than from my husband. I just bought him a new DeWalt drill from Amazon to go along with his driver that he got for Christmas. We love power tools in the family! I've had my very own hammer since I was 18.

    2 things every girl should know, how to change the oil in a car and how to use a stud finder to hang pictures.

    Jen said...

    DH works for a company that sells tools/screw/bolts/whatever to construction companies and industrial plants. This means discounts on toold *clap* I am requesting my own damn toolbox and tools so that he won't complain when I use his crap. Even married girls need their own damn tools LOL

    Anonymous said...

    The most unique gift I ever got at a bridal shower was my very own toolbox which contained Philips head and flat head screwdrivers, hammer and nails, tape measure and level. I'd like to say I still have it but my husband filched everything a long time ago. Like he really needed my tools when he's got so many of his own.

    Kathy said...

    I have a thing about vice grips.

     
    © free template