Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Book Review

I was told I should pass this book review on to a wider audience, so I'm following directions.





These were ordered for my branch, so I picked them up because they've been sort of called the girl version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. These books may actually confirm my suspicions that I grew up to be a 12 year-old boy, because I really didn't give a flying shit.

The characters, including the main character, are rather cardboard. The protagonist is supposedly a dork who spends a lot of time discussing her dorkitude, though she really isn't very dorky. Then there are her background BFFS and MacKenzie, the rich, snotty, mean girl, who for some reason spends a lot of time antagonizing a girl who supposedly isn't even on her social level. And then the cute crush and blah, fucking, blah. Watch Mean Girls and you get the picture. There is no growth in these characters so it's like reading a very long and much more boring roadrunner cartoon.

There are about 40 to fucking many pop culture references (iPhone, Tyra Banks, emo, Walmart, Jimmy Choos, etc.) for this series to be relevant five years from now. Hell, I'm not sure if they'll remain relevant through October.

It seems like the author is trying to make it very clear that she's up on all the latest popular must-haves and stereotypes. It is definitely nowhere near DoaWK.

And seriously, there has got to be some fucking newer book series about an average girl's life that doesn't follow this sad ass formula. I don't know yet, because I've only read this one and one of those Clique books.

7 comments:

Sandy D. said...

I feel so powerful! Now I must point some more readers to your review. :D

KAR said...

All hail the power of Zea!

Karyn said...

My daughter is a huge fan of "Diary of Wimpy Kid" and "Dear Dumb Diary." The Dork Diary series just felt like a not-very-good rip off of these books, and she was less than impressed.

Karyn said...

Oh, another "girl" series that my daughter really likes right now is "Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls." Other than that, she's pretty much just into Star Wars novels right now.

Anonymous said...

KAR, I just discovered today that you were back to posting! Have missed hearing from you.

My son LOVES the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books and so do I! He special-ordered the new one, "The Ugly Truth" from Scholastic, so he'll get his paperback on the same day the hardbacks hit the stores.

Unknown said...

Glad to read about the review. I'd like to try reading this stuff this weekend though.
Work From Home

Jen said...

I am glad you posted this. I was wondering about them.

 
© free template